Wednesday, August 11, 2010

In search for....a Perfect but Affordable Men's Bag

I've been searching for a fashionable and yet 'professional' men's working bag for awhile now. . My criteria for this bag is not that stringent but it consists of the following:
  • Strong enough to carry my laptop. Even though I have a netbook, the bag still has to be strong enough to be able to carry the weight of my computer and books etc
  • Has to have a handle for me to hand carry
  • Preferably 'leather' looking - more for the work environment
  • Should strap would be ideal since I get tired carrying by hand all the time
  • Lots of pockets inside and outside because I generally have a lot of crap I put in my bag
  • Unique and fashionable but not TOO fashion forward - I know this is a totally subjective point but something that oozes COOL would be nice. I can't be too fashion forward at work so something classic mixed with a twist would be great!
  • Last but not least - AFFORDABLE. I have a normal job with a normal income. I cannot afford to buy Burberry or Bally or Dunhill all the time (not even sure I would buy those brands anyway....). I'm thinking somewhere between USD$250 to $500 is OK for a bag that I will use daily.
So I've been keeping my eyes open and searching and searching and searching. Some of the brands I looked at included:

  • Tumi - totally famous for functional and sophisticated bags, great if you're a banker or the likes but for me, it's not really on the cool side.
  • Coach - I know they recently launched a men's line and it's not horrible. However, everytime I think of Coach, I feel like it's a women's line. Need to adjust my thinking.
  • Mandarina Duck / Y3 - I like the simple designs and shapes but like $600 - $700 for a nylon bag? Not sure if I want that.
  • Diesel / Fred Perry / Ted Baker - I love these brands but slightly too fashion forward to carry to work.
  • Others (J Crew, Banana Republic, Club Monaco, Zara etc) - These are more mass market stuff and while they're nice and affordable, they just don't stand out for me and breaks too easily....I've tried.
But I do have my favorite brands for bags and I wish I had a perfect bag that is a mix of everything...
  • Matt and Nat - I like the fact that they are eco-friendly and vegan, unique designs too. Not really work focused designs...
  • Jack Spade - I've loved their bags from their launch many years ago...I personally own a few. I think they are constructed well and lasts forever. It's not very practical though...
  • Marc by Marc Jacobs - these are hip and cool. the material used aren't the best but it's affordable and fancy designs for what it is. I do think it's becoming more mass though.
  • Mulberry - I want a Mulberry bag!!! It's so classic and I love the material. It can be slightly boring at times...and slightly pricey

So I am still searching for that affordable but stylish men's work bag. I think there is certainly a market for a company that does unique but fashionable men's bags!!! I know I know, I think I'm too picky and asking for too much.

But do you have any suggestions for me?

Any obscure brands but fits the criteria is totally OK with me!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails